I am having trouble getting pics to upload will put them on later.
8.21.2008
Caleb's Big Boy Bed
Well, Caleb has officially made it into a "big boy bed." About a month and a half ago we began the transition and boy has it been exciting. He did well at first, getting up several times, and reaping the percussions of it. He began to stay in his bed and do really well for several weeks but then........oh, but then.............he figured out, "I can get out of my bed anytime I want and don't care how much trouble I get into, the thrill is worth the discipline that I will have to endure." Well, that is what I thought was going through his mind. He would get out of bed after two hours of discipline and was still ready for more. We tried talking the bed up, lovingly disciplining the rump, talking, talking, talking, putting him in his crib, taking his blanky and much more, including MUCH PRAYER!!! Finally I tried closing his door and it worked!!! Well, he gets out one time to see if he can get out and then he realizes that he has lost the battle and gets in his bed or falls asleep. I found him asleep next to his bed the other day; I guess he didn't make it to the bed in time before he crashed. So, I guess I will leave it at this, because it is working and I am tired, but when he figures out how to open the door then we will began with the battle again. If anyone out there has any good parenting advice about how to keep your child in bed, please let me know!!!! We need all the help we can get but I bet whatever you suggest we have tried it. So just try me. Anyway, Caleb is really such a joy, a little on the hard headed side, but truly a blessing from the Lord. He is teaching Tommy and I so much about ourselves and how that relates to our relationship with the Father. I am really thankful to God for giving us such a blessing to enjoy here on earth. I hope that you enjoy the video and the pics of his new bed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hey Kelly! I ran across your blog and can relate to the transition to a “big” bed. We finally made it but there were some tough nights along the way. I seem to have a hard headed child too. I guess it just comes with the age. Ella Grace has learned to open the door so we put one of those door safety knobs on the inside of her door. She has not figured how to open the door with that on there yet but I’m sure the time is coming. Some morning I wake up to go get her and she is already up and out of bed and has changed her pull up and is in the process of picking out her clothes for the day. She is very independent. We’ve also had some trouble with getting her to go to bed without throwing a fit some nights so we just put her outside. I know it sounds terrible but it really works and you only have to do it once. We went to a Kevin Leman seminar at church and he tells the story of a mom that did this when her child was throwing a fit. We came home and tried it that night and have not had anymore problems. We’ve had a few nights of her throwing a fit and all Matt has to say is, “Do you wanna go outside?”. She gets in bed and goes right to sleep. Well I’ve rambled enough. It’s good to see what your up too and Caleb is adorable. Matt and I really need to start a blog but I just don’t have the time.
How cute is that video? I hope Caleb has transitioned into his "big boy bed" better by the time I am finally reading this post! Once he learns how to open doorknobs, you can get a plastic doorknob cover that only parents know how to open. Our daycare has let us in that little secret, although we haven't had to utilize it yet at home. ;) I hope all is well with the Speirs family!
Post a Comment